WELCOME...

Welcome to my food blog Any Tom Yum , Spotted Dick or Haricot Bean...My name is Harriet Jenkins and I work for AB World Foods, a company passionate about flavour and World cuisines. This blog will give you a taster of the sorts of things that i get up to in search of foodie perfection across the globe...

Monday 17 May 2010

Khao Soi – Heaven is a curried noodle dish!


Khao Soi
For lunch, I was taken to an innocuous roadside café not far from the Wat (temple) that we had visited that morning. Atthakorn had been visiting this place for seven years and he swore it made the best Khao Soi in the area.

A sweet lady sat us down at a rickety table by the water and asked us if we wanted chicken, pork or beef. This concise menu offering, I was soon to discover, was because all they offered was their signature dish of Khao Soi, or curried noodles. I had chicken, Attakorn had beef, and minutes later two bowls of aromatic steaming noodles were placed in front of us.
Atthakorn eating Khao Soi
It was basically medium egg noodles (made in the Thai way which meant they had more bite) in a warming coconutty curry sauce (a flavour cross between Thai Red, Yellow and Mussaman cuuries). It was cooked with the protein of our choice and topped with crispy noodles. Served alongside were Thai shallots and chopped preserved cabbage, which contrasted brilliantly. The shallot leant a certain freshness and the preserved vegetable, a sourness that just balanced the dish perfectly. As with all good restaurants, a condiments tray was provided for seasoning, and I added a little ground chilli to make it my own…but apart from that it was perfection itself. I ate every last morsel and It could quite easily top the list of one of the last things I eat before I die.
Seasoning tray (Clockwise from top; rice vinegar and sliced green chillies, granulated saugar, Nam Prik, Chilli paste, roasted ground chillies)

Happy Cooking!
HJ

No comments:

Post a Comment