WELCOME...

Welcome to my food blog Any Tom Yum , Spotted Dick or Haricot Bean...My name is Harriet Jenkins and I work for AB World Foods, a company passionate about flavour and World cuisines. This blog will give you a taster of the sorts of things that i get up to in search of foodie perfection across the globe...

Monday 17 May 2010

Chaozhou can you go...

Jia Tong Heng


For my final meal in Chang Mai I was treated to Chaozhou Chinese food. The Chaozhounese Thais arrived in Thailand steadily over the last couple of centuries from a southern province in China, Guandong. They brought with them their traditional dishes and Attakorn ordered a few at Jia Tong Heng, so that I might try the cuisine. The most delicious thing that we had was Jew’s Ear mushroom with Fried egg and coriander and it was delicious. We also had Chinese fried noodles that had great texture but a slightly strange taste – this could be because they had used a very pungent Chinese ingredient called fermented beancurd, which is red in colour and strong in taste, and the noodles were a pinky-red in appearance.
Jew's Ear Mushroom with Fried Egg and Coriander


Chinese Style Fried Noodles



I was also encourage to try 1000yr eggs which were black in colour and gelatinous in texture (a texture favoured by the Chinese) which are buried in the earth for months on end to achieve this look. I wasn’t a fan. We also ate chicken’s feet that were served with the meat stripped away so just the cartilage remained. These were sliced with onions to take away the taste. In my book, if you need something to mask the taste, why eat it? I won’t be repeating this experience. End of!

Appetizer plate of spring rolls, roast cashew nut, 1000yr eggs, pigs ear and chickens feet with onions


Happy Cooking!

HJ

No comments:

Post a Comment